...a story about migrating to Italy

Monday, March 12, 2012

I am standing at the kitchen sink

I am standing at the kitchen sink
---------------------------------------------

there is a wind tunnel through the living room
because the front door and the back door are wide open
and stand opposite each other

there is a gene pitney cd playing with the volume half way
because today is fathers day and i can see a family gathering
through my kitchen window
and i thought that metallica would disturb them

there is an old couple with their kids and their kids
because today is fathers day and they are together
to enjoy good food and company

i am standing at the kitchen sink washing three week old dishes
because i was too lazy to wash them after three hours
or even three days

i am standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes by myself on fathers day because i was lazy
but now i am being productive

i am standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes by myself on fathers day because i already bought some flowers
and placed them at his grave

i am standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes by myself on fathers day because i do not have a family gathering to go to

i am standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes by myself on fathers day because my mother my sisters and i have been estranged from the rest of the family
and there are no more family gatherings

i am standing at the kitchen sink
washing dishes
by myself
on fathers day


- Michelle Napolitano 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment